Monday, March 06, 2006

Ugh

Today Phil and I visited our first surgeon who shall remain nameless. Long story short -> she sucked. For more details, read on...

I think I went in with an open mind. I kept telling myself (and Phil) that I had an open mind, seeing as this doctor wasn't practicing at a top notch facility.

Right off the bat, the waiting room was so small that Phil and I had to sit in a filing room that smelled of cigarette smoke. When space cleared enough that we could move into the main waiting room, I couldn't straighten out my legs without tripping someone as they walked past. Not a good sign - but still keeping an open mind.

Then the receptionist was unlike any of the other wonderful professionals that I have so far encountered. [Is that saying it without actually saying it?]

Once we did get into the doctor's office, she hadn't read any of my medical history. She seemed to be very interested in my left breast diagnosis of fibrocystic breast. [focus here - we're here for right breast DCIS] I was already getting a bad feeling at this point.

While looking at my films, she pointed out what we had seen many times before, but to her credit she didn't know that. When asked what her recommended treatment would be, she said biopsy the known area and then a few other random calcifications. When asked what the surgery would be like she said, "It will be like getting a haircut." [I kid you not!]

I said, "Well what about a mastectomy?" She said she thought it was always better to proceed slowly and use knowledge to access the situation. OK - so that's fine. But when I say I'd rather not have 2+ surgeries, she says it's nice that you're being "courageous" but don't make a rash decision. Unlike the other wonderful doctors we've met, she wasn't interested in knowing why I had considered a mastectomy.

In general, she seemed very dismissive. I can't imagine having to request pain meds from this doctor. Decision made on this doctor. And I will be following up with my PCP to let him know that the recommendation wasn't a good one.

So fingers crossed for Thursday's surgeon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen & Family, this is Laurie Grondin here in Maine. Melissa forwarded your info. Prayers comin' at ya. We have a local radio celeb who Haley & I have become close friends with who "had" the same cancer as yourself. She opted for the lumpectomy and radiation and is now cancer free and doing very well. No influence here, just wanted to let you know. Well, had just a sec to send a note and let you know we're all thinking of you. We'll check your blog time to time and know we will be praying for you. It's a powerful thing ya know! Love to all. Laurie :-)

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home